Current Training Status: not blogging... running.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

D.H.Jones Training Run

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=98434

Once a month the club meets to run this course, training for the race on Feb 24th. It has one big hill that steadily increases its grade to maybe 10%, definitely slowed me down today. Tough to find real hills out here, I mean mountains. There aren't many mountains of course, and I need to train on mountains.

So, 10 miles today in 1:20:16. That was great pace, I had a side stitch or stomach cramp for a few miles that left me for the final hills. Without that I would probably have run too fast. USATF says 800' but I'll bet it's 1000. I ran last weekend's run in just under 2 hours, much slower than today but with much more power on the hills.

After that run my old stress fracture was aching and tender to the touch. Today, no such issue. Facing that demon, over the week I ran the First Night 5k, 3 miles snowshoeing Wednesday, 2 miles running and 3 miles snowshoeing Thursday, and a day off Friday. So using snowshoeing to avoid impact worked, though I learned how poor my LLBean models are for running.

Tomorrow morning I will try to take Nye to the club's first Fun Run at Dick and Linda's in Amherst, for a mile. Tuesday I may snowshoe with Jay if he is game.

No comments: