Current Training Status: not blogging... running.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

East Mtn. Complete 26.2




I stood in the Westfield River, on what was the waters edge last summer. I stood there for about 2 minutes in water up to my waist. Couldn't go further, turning back I almost took a dive in the strong current. The icy water had sapped all the strength from my legs. So that Marathon is definitely put off till a dryer season, but I can always find another these days. Thursday everything is arranged for me to do the East Mountain Complete. The course is mapped in part above and completely by these links:


The plan is to strike out at about 2 - 2:30 and finish before 7 - 7:30, while the weekly Elks 5K is winding down. Marathon Distance this time, 26.2 Miles and 2700' of climb in less than 5 hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris-
Well I have been waiting to see if you were able to do your training run yesterday. It sounded great. How do you work with the lack of water being out there for 5 hours on the trail? Did you carry enough?

CCORRADINO said...

Tough question Kris,
Hottest day of the year so far, I think. I had 20 oz stashed at miles 5+12, and a 24 oz at mile 16. I think I had enough water. Unfortunately I decided to experiment with a richer electrolyte mixture in the water and wound up dehydrated.

My 'East Mtn. Complete' hit every summit of the broken ridgeline, but I cut the run to 24 miles. The rockpile we call the M+M trail forces a lot of walks, but dehydration slowed me to a crawl for a few miles. Strange inner ear/sinus issues made breathing tough. New rule, always stash more water than you need!

This was a training run and a learning experience. I showed up at the Elks after 24 miles with 5:14:34 on my watch, and a literal mask of salt on my face. My eyebrows had sprouted huge rocks of salt!

Congrats, Kris on being my first blog commenter!
Chris